This post was created in partnership with TENGA.
Last year I sat down with my friends at TENGA for tips on shopping for masturbation toys and to learn more about how we look at masturbation as a society. Now I’m continuing the conversation for Masturbation May (a month-long celebration of self-pleasure), because almost all Americans masturbate (95% of men and 81% of women), but it remains a taboo topic – even though it’s wide-spread. I first felt uncomfortable with openly discussing the topic, but I’ve grown to appreciate it! I’m thinking about not only why do we it, but also three important reasons why we should be doing it, especially with toys!
- Explore Yourself! – Gabrielle Union says it perfectly in an interview, “Before you seek out somebody else to pleasure you, you better know your own body…If you learn how to pleasure yourself then you’re never going to have a bad sexual experience, because you know how to dictate and direct.” We need to understand our own bodies by knowing what positions, movements and sensations help us reach ultimate satisfaction. For example, you may be a guy who loves a good blowjob or is still trying to understand what the hype is all about. Well you don’t need a mouth to help you figure this out. There are toys like the pre-lubricated, disposable TENGA Vacuum CUP that can help you feel the sensation with no clean upwards (except maybe wiping down your salami 😉). Pro-tip: If your partner loves blowjobs but you’re not always in the mood, this is your way to tap out your mouth and tap in your hand.
- Protect Yourself! – You don’t think clearly when you’re horny! 59% percent of people masturbate to relieve sexual tension, and you should think about the power of masturbating before a date. Masturbating before seeing someone you like helps you stay grounded and focused on what you really want. It’s so easy for sexual attraction to keep you from having perspective on the emotional and mental connection you’re establishing with someone, and you might be missing some warning signs. There are toys like the pocket-size iroha stick vibrator for women and the one-time use EGGs for men that make masturbating easy to do, especially when you’re in a time crunch.
- Celebrate Yourself! Relax Yourself! –Just like going to the gym or enjoying a drink after work, it’s okay for masturbation to be a normal part of your daily or weekly routine. 54% of people masturbate to relieve some stress, and beyond that, masturbation is a beautiful thing to embrace for yourself. Self-pleasure – by yourself or with your partner – is something that should be celebrated, not hidden.
While these are three reasons to masturbate, there are many, many more! We all have an interest in breaking down barriers around sexual taboos, and this starts with open conversations and sex education that promotes healthy sexual relationships with ourselves – and our partners.
How to celebrate Masturbation May:
- You can pledge to masturbate throughout the rest of May by signing up on dotinmay.com. My friends at TENGA will donate $1 for every person who takes the pledge and $2 for each use of the hashtag “#DoItInMay” on social media, up to $10,000, to the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS). This is an organization that advocates for the right of all people to accurate information, comprehensive education about sexuality, and the full spectrum of sexual and reproductive health services. Which is much needed in these times!
- Everyone who takes the pledge will also receive a coupon for 10 percent off purchases made via TENGA’s e-commerce store.
- For those based in the New York City area, comment on this blog post, tweet me at @ATouchofBold or Instagram direct message me at @ATouchofBold about Masturbation May by May 23, 2017 at 11:59 EST for a chance to win some TENGA products.